The Executive Principal Leadership Institute (EPLI) is an 18-month in-depth training and coaching program for ten (10) mid-career principals who want to go from “good to great”. Urban Tech is planning to align training to the attributes of successful corporate executives; and will select five (5) successful sitting principals to participate as EPLI mentors and coaches.
We have identified five (5) strategic program objectives to create and sustain exemplary leadership in a 21st Century urban school:
- Utilizing successful sitting principals and corporate executives to provide mid-career principals in high-needs schools with ongoing, high-quality coaching and professional supports designed to increase their leadership skills and ability to drive improvements in teaching and learning in their buildings;
- Specialized training by subject matter experts (SMEs) aimed at developing advanced executive leadership skills including budgeting, negotiations, advocacy, fundraising, education technology, community engagement, etc.;
- Education innovation workshops/labs that “disrupt” traditional business models to drive improvements in teaching and learning in schools;
- Turnkey training through which mentee principals train and mentor the members of leadership teams in their schools during the program to demonstrate short-term successes and build capacity at the building level to sustain the successful reforms;
- Developing a customized education technology platform – the Data as a Resource Tool (DART) system – with the NYC Data Science Academy and New York University to increase principal access to timely and easy-to-understand information that will enable participating principals and their leadership teams to be more strategic, instructional leaders by providing real-time decision making and improve administrative efficiency and productivity, critical levers for driving higher levels of student achievement.
- strives to retain the best principals serving in the most economically disadvantaged neighborhoods
- results in the turnkey leadership training of other mid-career principals for the purpose of building stellar leadership capacity citywide
- thoroughly addresses the nuances of school leadership and school functioning as aligned with the five NYCDOC leadership competencies and broader set of Executive Principal Competencies (see appendix for details)
- seamlessly connects theory to practice in real time
- embeds technology designed to streamline the work of the principal by making the complex tasks of the principalship manageable from the macro to micro levels.